Police are warning drivers about the dangers of wearing lanyards around their necks when driving.
This follows vehicle accidents when the force of airbag deployment has pushed the lanyard and ID badge/pass into the driver’s chest, causing their injuries to be worse than they would have been.
In one incident this caused a lung to collapse. In another incident, where the driver also stored keys on their lanyard, the force of the airbag caused the keys to perforate the driver’s bowel.
Whilst this type of accident is fortunately rare, all employees should be aware of the hazard and how to avoid it.
It is strongly advised that employees remove their lanyards/staff passes when driving.
In addition where possible, use breakaway lanyards that will unclip themselves if caught or stuck