The THINK! strategy for drink driving is to remind all drivers of the personal consequences of drink driving and that a drink driving conviction can ruin your life.
The THINK! ‘consequences’ campaign for drink driving aims to:
- increase awareness of the personal consequences of a drink drive conviction – the fine, driving ban and criminal record are all highlighted
- reinforce and build the social stigma around drink driving
- offer in-pub solutions to help drivers avoid the temptation to drink alcohol if they know they are going to drive
The ‘consequences’ campaign targets 1 to 3 pint drink drivers, not drunk drivers, with a particular focus on young men aged 17 to 29 years old. It doesn’t focus on the increased risk of a crash, as our research drink driving strategic development has found that young men believe:
- that they are unlikely to crash after 1 to 3 drinks
- drink drive adverts showing a crash are not relevant to them but to the irresponsible people who drive when drunk
- that the personal consequences of a drink drive conviction are much more likely to happen to them
We found that the long-term implications of a drink driving conviction, such as imprisonment or a criminal record, a 12 month driving ban or an endorsement that stays on your licence for 11 years were new news and more concerning to this audience than the risk of crashing and harming themselves or others.
Our central campaign messages are:
- THINK! Don’t drink and drive
- get caught drink driving and you’ll be processed like any other criminal. THINK!
- get caught drink driving and you face a fine of up to £5,000, a minimum 12 month driving ban and a criminal record
- how much will your next round cost you? THINK!
This year we ran a radio advertising campaign in March to April and are using PR and partner channels throughout the year. Activity will be coordinated to support the Association of Chief Police Officers’ summer and winter enforcement campaigns.
We welcome support in getting our messages out to drivers. Campaign resources such as posters and leaflets can be ordered free of charge from the THINK! online catalogue.
Working in partnership
Driver Friendly, which launched in December 2009 aims to improve the in-pub experience of designated drivers by providing them with promotional offers during their night out. Over 6 consecutive Christmases we have partnered with Coca-Cola to encourage drivers to choose soft drinks on their night out by providing them with a buy 1, get 1 free offer on Coca-Cola and Diet Coke in 8,000 venues nationwide.
We also provide posters to those pubs that want to get involved with the campaign but are unable to support a driver friendly promotion.
Relevant attitudinal indicators are monitored over time to measure the impact of the communications. Core key performance indicators for the ‘Consequences’ campaign are below:
|Consequence campaign results young male drivers aged under 30 – % agreeing||July 2007 – pre campaign||April 2014|
|It is extremely unacceptable to drive after drinking 2 pints||51||63|
|If I were to drink and drive I would be likely to be caught by the police||57||67|
|It is likely that being caught drink driving would change my lifestyle dramatically||73||85|